You are here: Home Latest News Torres may be better leaving

Torres may be better leaving

E-mail Print PDF

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton is reported to have suggested Fernando Torres may be best advised to leave the club.

In a host of TV and media interviews the man appointed to oversee the sale of Tom Hicks and George Gillett's holdings in the Reds has insisted star players do not need to be sold.

He has also stated that neither he nor Rafael Benitez would want any deal that takes players like Steven Gerrard and Torres away.

Comments made to SKY Sports News presenter Charlotte Jackson may not have been intended to be on the record but when asked if the Spanish international would be staying at Anfield Broughton gave a less than positive reaction.

Though a Chelsea supporter and season ticket holder Broughton, who absented himself from the Londoner's visit to Anfield earlier this month, has pledged to put his allgiance to one side and do his best for Liverpool.

However, in his personal rather than business capacity he attended a Stamford Bridge function at which he spoke to Jackson - a Liverpool fan.

"I saw Martin Broughton at Chelsea’s Player of the Year dinner and he refused to tell me that we weren’t going to sell Torres," she stated.

"He said, ‘At the moment, he’s still on board, but it’s going to take three years to turn the club around, and at his age . . .’ "

Chelsea along with Manchester City and Barcelona are said to be sizing the situation up before making a bid for the striker.

The Blues are also linked with Yossi Benayoun.

A £6 million is said to be in preparation. Though Liverpool are rumoured to have placed a value of £10 million on the Israeli international who is one year into a new deal.

Benayoun also attracts interest from other Premiership clubs plus Russian outfits CSKA and Spartak Moscow is said to want a move if Rafael Benitez remains in charge.

Last Updated ( Friday, 11 June 2010 12:08 )